Thursday 25 October 2012

Finishing off

Last day was spent fixing the colouring and masking out random noise. As I had left it to the last minute, the titles are very simple. I think it looks nice for the first few seconds coz you feel all moody and ominous, then it cuts to Jacque and music box and it completely throws me off. No time for anything more sophisticated however, so I guess it will have to serve to foreshadow his grim, grim end.


If I had to review my animation at this stage:

-aforementioned conflict with titles
-jarring and disorientating beginning
-laughs are a bit unconvincingly cut together, but otherwise alright flow for rest of scene 1-(oh and at the part where he jumps off the bed weird I added a blink in and it made such a difference)
-scene 2 feels good
-music good
-wut, random card
-not sure what to think of the solitary random card
-the director's idea of subliminal messaging?
-more like the director's miserable attempt to tie things together even when the absence of certain elements renders the effort absolutely meaningless
-anyway, still good up until they sit at the window
-there some animation needing redoing
-lighting is nice
-music not ideal, but not bad
-something happened now it looks like a climax
-music does not work to be honest
-no feel
-and yaaay it's over!


More evaluation:

I think the main problem with Slapjack as a whole is that it was built upon a retrospectively poor foundation. The story was weak to begin with, and would have worked better as a more stylised animation, but there was minimal work done for look and feel.

Some things to remember for future projects, KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID. Like, actually simple. And do a lot of concept art and style frames. Since that's what I'm into.

I probably reiterate, but I think the best place for this work is online. Aside from the potential for a huge audience, there's that psychological aspect for me; online all of your work can be viewed together, whilst at a festival or something it's that one work representing you. It is something you have done, versus something you have DONE. And it really is too weak for DONE.

^Excuses

Anyway, I will be submitting this to festivals (bullied), but as the main place for it is online/showreel, again, online hand in tomorrow.

DONE!

No comments:

Post a Comment